- Director: Academy Award Winner Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon, Apollo 13)
- Cast: Seven-time Academy Award Nominee and Golden Globe Winner Glenn Close (The Wife) joins previously announced Six-time Academy Award Nominee and Golden Globe Winner Amy Adams
- Writer: Vanessa Taylor (The Shape of Water) will adapt the screenplay based on the novel by J.D. Vance
- Producers: Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Karen Lunder for Imagine Entertainment
- Executive Producer: Julie Oh, J.D. Vance
- Synopsis: J.D. Vance, a former Marine from southern Ohio and current Yale Law student, is on the verge of landing his dream job when a family crisis forces him to return to the home he’s tried to forget. J.D. must navigate the complex dynamics of his Appalachian family, including his volatile relationship with his mother Bev (Amy Adams), who’s struggling with addiction. Fueled by memories of his grandmother Mamaw (Glenn Close), the resilient and whip-smart woman who raised him, J.D. comes to realize that to achieve his dreams, he must embrace his roots. Based on J.D. Vance’s #1 New York Times Bestseller and directed by Academy Award winner Ron Howard, HILLBILLY ELEGY is a powerful personal memoir that deconstructs stereotypes. By following three colorful generations through their unique struggles, J.D.’s family story explores the highs and lows that define hillbilly culture.
- Hillbilly Elegy reunites Close with Howard who previously directed her in the The Paper as well in a PSA for Bring Change To Mind, Close’s nonprofit organization dedicated to encouraging dialogue about mental health.